Singapore businessman Peter Lim says he will spend €50 million in the January transfer window if his offer to buy Valencia is accepted this week.
Lim’s bid is reportedly one of three being considered by the heavily-indebted club’s bankers, with a Jan. 15 deadline having been set for all interested parties to register their offers, with a further period of due diligence then expected before a final choice of new owner is made.
Successful investor Lim, whose bid has been backed by current Valencia club president Amadeo Salvo, told AS that he wants a decision made as quickly as possible so that he can invest heavily in the team this month.
“I hope my offer is accepted,” Lim said. “Forty million euros for signings seems too small to me. I have 50 million to spend this month.”
Lim apparently spoke to the Spanish paper in Zurich, where Monday’s Ballon d’Or gala took place, and said he would be travelling to watch Valencia play Atletico Madrid in Tuesday’s Copa del Rey last-16 second leg at the Estadio Vicente Calderon.
“I like football a lot, and I hope all goes well,” he said. “My intentions are good and the offer is good.”
Lim’s attempt to buy Liverpool was rejected in 2010 by club figures skeptical about his intentions, while he has also been linked with moves to invest in Rangers, Atletico Madrid and Middlesbrough — all of which led to nothing in the end. He was reportedly put in touch with Salvo by Portuguese ‘super-agent’ Jorge Mendes, who since the summer has been involved in many of Valencia’s transfer dealings.
The Singaporean’s other sports investments include a stake in British sports car manufacturer McLaren and also reportedly has an interest in a chain of Manchester United themed restaurants and bars in Asia.
New Valencia coach Juan Antonio Pizzi reportedly wants to bring in a new striker this January; so far the club have been looking to take Chilean attacker Eduardo Vargas from Napoli on loan and have made no plans to spend Lim’s potential 50 million euro war chest.