- Atletico Madrid are 1 of only 2 teams with an 100% record in La Liga this season following their 4-2 win over Almeria at the weekend.
- However, head coach Diego Simeone will be without the services of Diego Costa, who is suspended for the welcome of Zenit.
- Other than that, Atletico have no further injury worries.
- Zenit’s 2-0 win over Terek Grozny was their fifth win in 8 Russian Premier League games and head coach Luciano Spalletti will be buoyed by their recent run of form.
- Hulk is a doubt having missed the weekend win and may take his place on the bench for the trip to Madrid.
- Other than that, Zenit have no fresh injury concerns.
- Atletico return to Champions League football for the first time in 4 years and will be confident of securing a win in front of their own fans, with David Villa the focal point in attack after his blistering start to the season.
- Zenit, however, have won their last 5 Champions League matches, including qualifiers, and have scored at least 4 goals in 3 of those and will draw on their European experience when they travel to Spain.
- Atletico’s home form is impressive, but without Diego Costa available, they’re without a key member of their starting XI. An exciting score draw could be on the cards here, especially with the quality running through the ranks in both teams.
Prediction: Atletico Madrid 2 Zenit Petersburg 1