Malcom is set to join up with his new Barcelona team-mates on their United States tour after successfully passing his medical on Wednesday.
The Brazilian winger put pen to paper on a five-year contract on Tuesday after Barca agreed a €41 million deal with Bordeaux, hijacking Roma’s proposed switch for the 21-year-old.
Bordeaux announced earlier this week that a €40m fee had been agreed with Roma, only for Malcom to reportedly reject that move in favour of joining the Spanish champions.
The news that Malcolm is a Barcelona player has been met with fury in the Italian capital. Roma’s sporting director Monchi had confirmed that a deal was agreed in principle between Roma and and Bordeaux and that the player was due to board a flight heading for Rome. But them Barca made a late move and Bordeaux declined the transfer at the last moment.
“Once we found the agreement with Bordeaux, about 30 minutes later their president, Stephane Martin, called me to tell me that there were a lot of rumours surrounding the deal, and for them it would be better to make an official statement” Monchi told Italian press.
“I told him that, for us, it would not be ideal – as we are listed on the stock exchange and have to respect certain rules – but he insisted, and they ultimately did a tweet to announce the agreement.
“Because of this, we also followed up with the same statement. Everything was done, but about an hour after the announcement, there started to be suggestions of a new interest from Barcelona.”
Roma are now planning to take legal action against Barcelona, as they aren’t happy with how the situation was conducted. But Barca don’t care. Malcolm is now a Barcelona player and could make his debut when Barca meet Tottenham in the International Champions Cup in California on Saturday, before potentially facing the club he snubbed, Roma, on Tuesday.