FIFA and France Football have published the 23 players short-listed for the Ballon d’Or, the winner of which will be announced on 11th January 2016. The three finalists will be named on 30th November.
As expected Barcelona and Real Madrid players dominated the list with the clubs contributing 11 of the 23 players.
Barcelona led the most candidates (6) led by Leo Messi, Neymar, Luis Suárez, Ivan Rakitic, Andres Iniesta and Javier Mascherano
Five Real Madrid players also made the cut: Cristiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale, Karim Benzema, James Rodríguez and Toni Kroos.
Outside of La Liga, Bayern Munich had the next most candidates with five. Surprisingly, despite winning Serie A last season and reaching the finals of the Champions League, Juventus only managed to have one player on the list (Paul Pogba)
The 23 players short-listed for the Ballon d’Or are:
- Sergio Agüero (Argentina/Manchester City)
- Gareth Bale (Gales/Real Madrid)
- Karim Benzema (Francia/Real Madrid)
- Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal/Real Madrid
- Kevin De Bruyne (Bélgica/VfL Wolfsburg/Manchester City)
- Eden Hazard (Bélgica/Chelsea)
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Suède/Paris Saint-Germain)
- Andrés Iniesta (España/FC Barcelona)
- Toni Kroos (Alemania/Real Madrid)
- Robert Lewandowski (Polonia/Bayern de Múnich)
- Javier Mascherano (Argentina/FC Barcelona)
- Lionel Messi (Argentina/FC Barcelona)
- Thomas Müller (Alemania/Bayern de Múnich)
- Manuel Neuer (Alemania/Bayern de Múnich)
- Neymar (Brasil/FC Barcelona
- Paul Pogba (Francia/Juventus)
- Ivan Rakitic (Croacia/FC Barcelona)
- Arjen Robben (Países Bajos/Bayern de Múnich)
- James Rodríguez (Colombia/Real Madrid)
- Alexis Sánchez (Chile/Arsenal)
- Luis Suárez (Uruguay/FC Barcelona)
- Yaya Touré (Costa de Marfil/Manchester City)
- Arturo Vidal (Chile/Juventus/Bayern de Múnich)
Who do you think will win?